The CS7 Framework
The Career Strategy Framework, or CS7 Framework, is composed of 7 core principles. Within each principle, are strategies that describe the "how" of the principle.
Understanding and applying the strategies can lead to higher income, more options, and a boost to well-being. You will increase the likelihood that you will gravitate to a career you love and earn achievement that is unique to your talents, experience, and personality.
Your actual life will evolve into the life you wish for.
The 7 Principles
- Know Yourself - Pursuing a unique career path with confidence depends on convincing ourselves first about who we are, who we want to become, and the life we wish for. Your outputs from this principle will shape everything that comes next.
- Target a Unique Opportunity - Strategically apply your time, talent, and passion to a target where there is a market opportunity that aligns with your unique persona to create a compelling and sustainable value proposition. The core idea is envisioning a path that is unique to yourself. It will lead to a career of fulfillment and a value proposition this is different from others.
- Plan the Journey - Design and plan your career journey with an aspirational vision and phased approach to guide the realization of your career and work goals. The core idea is playing the long-game with short-term achievements that compound over time.
- Learn Continuously - Develop and deepen competencies that strengthen your value proposition while strategically adding skills in advance for when opportunity knocks. The core idea is that there are many ways to learn and employing multiple techniques can accelerate your impact and brand.
- Sell the Value - Market yourself as a product with a primary focus on the outcomes realized. Monetize your product across income streams to build market share for your brand. The core idea is to sell and market yourself continuously to attract opportunities and increase credibility.
- Connect with Awareness - Deepen awareness through self-reflection and relationships with people who are committed to seeing you succeed. The core idea is incorporating mechanisms to understand your inner being and engaging others for their help to support reaching your goals.
- Decide Consciously - The complexity of the one life we live is too precious to be left up to chance alone. Make rational decisions that align with your inner core and planned journey. The core idea is using various techniques to shape daily and long-term decisions that align with your fundamental aspirations that were outlined in principle 1, Know Yourself.
For people who seek career prosperity
The career path we choose is one of the most important decisions in our life.
It will impact our success, wealth, the people we come in contact with, and ultimately our happiness.
But yet, how we should strategically approach and answer this question is not taught in schools.
We are given a slice of time on this earth and how we manage the journey each day will influence the experience of our professional and personal life.
Mastering a career to achieve happiness and success over a lifetime requires more than deep domain expertise.
It demands strategy and the social skills to manage oneself and master interactions with others.
By becoming a master strategist of your career, you will increase the likelihood that you will live the life you wish for and make use of the most valued asset – time.
This can lead to making more money, realizing higher levels of contribution, and mastering your internal state of happiness.
For organizations who seek top talent
Human capital is generally the most significant expense for an organization. It’s also the engine that translates ideas into products and services that create value for customers and shareholders.
An organization can maximize its return on human capital and competitive position by aligning the needs of the organization with the career aspirations of its employees.
Organizations become a magnet for talent when they institutionalize a “win-win” culture.
Adopting a proven framework that is more than just helping employees find their next job will develop the whole person and deliver business results.
Why a Framework
I am responsible for the choices and outcomes of my life. My happiness and freedom hinge on executing a career strategy that creates a unique path that I control doing work I love.
I could not find a career process deep in strategy but yet practical to guide action. In 2006, I created a framework to help me succeed in my career and broader life.
If we are not methodical in our approach to what is truly important, we will succumb to the daily machine of unconscious inertia. Deep issues emerge when we diverge off our path.
The changing business landscape and forces make people irrelevant. Actively managing a career strategy is required to sustain a unique value proposition that fuels my livelihood and children’s dreams.
By continuously practicing a set of principles that evolved from my life, it has become an effective form of self-therapy to overcoming obstacles and irrational behavior.
As a leader, a career process attracts, develops, and exports talent across an organization.
As a father, educating my kids on topics not taught in schools will accelerate their development and reduce learning the hard way. Their success in life influences my happiness.
As a human being, helping others in their career pursuit can inspire a movement for people to do the same. All boats rise when people help people.
It’s life and death – your ability to strategically evolve a career will dictate your options and long-term prosperity.
Without a strategic direction that you control, you will be drawn into supporting the goals of others and not reach your true potential. You will be disappointed later in life.
People are busy and often make quick decisions to hear your pitch. Think of yourself as a product with a succinct brochure on your achievements, persona, and value proposition.
You are responsible for your career. Don’t expect organizations to provide answers and look after your best interests.
Leaders are not mind readers. Articulate what you want to achieve, your high-level path, and where you need their help to garner support.
Your life will inevitably be rocked by failure or issues outside your control. A solid strategic plan and confident mindset will mitigate irrational actions and reinforce calmness.
Who is it for?
Students in high-school and college that need direction to choose fields of study, apprenticeships and establish an early vision of the life they wish for.
Parents that need a collection of strategies and philosophies, not taught in school, to help shape their children’s thought process about choosing a career and how to get the most value from education.
Professionals that are feeling stuck in their current job, need guidance on how to make a job/field transition or market themselves. Significant life-changing events are often a catalyst to re-evaluate your path.
Side Hustlers who want to create options experimenting with unique passions while learning new skills and earning money on the side.
Human Resource (HR) leaders that are seeking to build a culture of mutual success that aligns talent with the needs of the organization, improve retention, and an organization that is a magnet for talent.
Managers seeking a proven framework and best practices to develop people within their team and export talent to the organization.
Career Event Organizers that are seeking practical content from a master career strategist that enables professionals to quickly take action to support their career direction.